“Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond and we cease to be alone.” ~ Wendell Berry
Traveling, wandering are the words that let you discover a whole new experience of your life. The best way to truly discover the world for yourself is to travel on your own.
Solo travel has many benefits that you might go beyond getting all the “me time” you need. You can save money, effort and time, plus you can free yourself up to say “yes!” to any experience that comes your way, without having to double check with your companion’s comfort zone.
Having said that, solo travel does come with some challenges. Staying within budget is a common challenge, but now you can book your arrangements and earn discounts and offers so your budget on the road can have a bit more flexibility. Another challenge when abroad is staying in touch.
As you follow your wanderlust to faraway lands, consider keeping a blog of your adventures so your friends and family will know what you’re up to. It’s a fun way to look back at your travels later and keep in touch in the moment.
Of the thousands of international destinations that are single-traveler friendly, we have narrowed this list down to a select few and made sure to find options for all types of travelers. In making the selections, we consider three main elements: safety, simplicity, and affordability.
Whether you’re an experienced traveler or new to the game, here are our selections for the best places to travel alone.
For the Adventure Lover
Why New Zealand
- New Zealand is famous for its geographic diversity.
- You can climb a glacier, swim with seals and hike through tropical jungles.
- This incredibly hospitable country is made up of two main islands, the North and South.
- Each region of the islands has its own character, and because they’re so compact, you can easily visit several in one trip.
For the Culturally Curious
Why Vietnam is your solo travel destination?
- Vietnam is one of the friendliest destinations to solo travel, particularly for women.
- This welcoming country is famous for its long coastline which is not only beautiful but also provides some of the best seafood in the world.
- Vietnam is the place to go if you want to be wowed by incredible architecture, breathtaking views, and a rich cultural history.
For the Social Butterfly
Why you need to take a trip to Ireland
- If you want to travel alone, but not be alone, Ireland is the ultimate destination for you.
- Eating, drinking and being merry is just the beginning of this remarkable country where it’s nearly impossible to not make friends around every corner.
- Check out for great deals on flights and vacation packages.
Which of these destinations is now on your solo-traveling bucket list?